Why the need to register your equipment
What does Regulation 5 of the PER say…
“(1) Importers and suppliers shall ensure that pressure equipment sold complies with the requirements of this Regulation.
(2) The importer shall assume the liability of the manufacturer in terms of this Regulation.
(3) Any pressure equipment that requires a permit to be issued by an organisation approved by the chief inspector shall ensure that such approval is obtained by the importer or manufacturer before the pressure equipment is placed in the market: Provided that such equipment shall comply with the relevant health and safety standard incorporated into these Regulation under section 44 of the Act.”
To conform to Regulation 5 and the Department of labour mandate, SAGA established the Safe Gas Equipment Scheme (SGES) to ensure that all equipment either imported and/or locally manufactured, supplied and installed within the country requires a Safe Gas Equipment Permit. From the outset, this Safe Gas Equipment Permit will ensure the equipment has been tested in compliance to an international or nationally accepted standard and that it is safe and fit for intended purpose.
What is the Scope of the scheme?
The Scheme covers all equipment operating above 0.5 GJ/h or 10 kg/h or 140 kW in the Commercial, Industrial and Specialised environments. Natural Gas Vehicles (excluding the cylinders), Natural Gas fuelling stations for CNG vehicles and CNG Industrial are to be included in the near future.
Purpose of the scheme
Is to provide an independent, non-discriminatory, transparent and objective technical assessment of new and existing gas equipment for compliance with the safety, reliability and energy efficiency of commercial and industrial gas equipment. Where there is no applicable industry standard or where industry standards are considered deficient with respect to the equipment subject to certification, the equipment will need to be tested at an international approved test facility.
Equipment Permit Application Process
- Submission of application supported by required documentation
- SGES Committee review of application
- Importer/Supplier payment for approved permits, if approved
- Permits issued and loaded onto public domain database
- Renewal every 3 years
Supporting Documents (minimum):
- Manufacturers ISO 9001 (QMS) certification
- Design / Type Examination / Type Approval Certificates or Test Report (if available). Certificates issued by International Notified Bodies
- Declaration of Conformity
- Certificate of Manufacture
- Equipment Technical Information
Fees and charges effective 1 July 2019
|Verification fee (New Permit)||R2 565 per application|
|Permit Renewal Fee (Members)||R2 130 per permit|
|Permit Renewal Fee (Non-Members)||R2 565 per permit|
|Audit Fee||R2 000 per hour for non-standard chargeable activities|